CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Quickly...

I've been doing a lot of thinking this evening, as polling results have come in from across the country regarding a myriad of issues and candidates. I am overjoyed at the prospect of a major change in the White House, and national politics as we know it. I am honored to have been a part of this historic election, and look forward to supporting new President-elect Barack Obama.

However, I am deeply saddened by the support and passing of Proposition 8 in California, Proposition 102 in Arizona, and Amendment 2 in Florida. It is a sad day in the fight for marriage equality. But it is not the end, by any means. I pledge my unwavering support in securing equal marriage rights for all Americans, for those whom I love, and those you do too. I cannot believe in a God, or give my full support to a society that wishes to prohibit ANYONE from finding their happiness with WHOMEVER they choose. Though the fight for equal rights has been stalled along the way, I truly believe that it CAN and WILL happen-- but only if we continue the fight to make it so.

2 comments:

Paige said...

The main reason I don't support allowing same-sex marriage is because polygamist have OPENLY and ADAMANTLY said that if we legalize same-sex marriage we should also legalize polygamy. This past election saw a little bit of them "gathering their forces" I guess you could say, to petition for legalization. I fully support civil unions to provide same-sex couples with all the rights of marriage. I think those rights should be available to everyone, even single heterosexuals.

Oprah had a show on polygamy over the summer and one woman said "In a country where alternative lifestyles are embraced, why is ours illegal?" And Oprah agreed. I think polygamy is heinous and awful, and I have to take that into account when I vote on or do or do not support marriage amendments.

Curly said...

I see your point, but personally, I see these issues as separate. Obviously legalizing unions for same-sex couples brings up the issue of legalization for other alternative unions. But fundamentally, it still provides for marriage between TWO consenting parties. Also, amending marriage laws for same-sex couples doesn't automatically open the door for other unions. Granted, it may give them more ammunition for their petition, but it's a different question.

And though I agree with your opposition to legal polygamy, not supporting this cause simply because I oppose a similar issue isn't, personally, a sufficient stance.