CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Hero

"You're a saint." That phrase we often utter to some dear person who comes to our rescue in an instant of need. A high praise, and usually well-deserved. But only a choice few times do you meet someone who embodies this phrase in the most literal way. A truly selfless, angel-among-us, awe-inspiring, I'm-not-worthy, type of person, one who changes you and how you will forever look at and feel about the world. A person like Mrs. Kelly Pack Beck.

I guess my acquaintance with Kelly starts with when I met her daughter, Ashley. The seemingly quiet, new girl from California, who I shared 2 classes with, who quickly became the loud, inappropriate, fellow procrastinator, best-friend I shared 2 classes with. And when I finally met her family, I fully understood how Ashley was a combination of the very best parts of Kelly, and her dad, Tracy, and the worst parts of herself (This is me placing blame on Ashley, instead of either of her incredible parents. You know I love you Ash).

Our first, brief, meeting left me in awe of the two barely-mortal people who she called Mom and Dad. Both impossibly kind and witty, I worshipped them instantly. I was especially awed by the incredible Mrs. Beck, who anyone would love, even against their will. Simply being near her I was enveloped by her loving calm, immediately putting me at ease. Even in our short exchange, we spoke as long-lost friends, with no hesitation or awkwardness. She was clever, and hilarious, and we hit it off immediately. Later I was still amazed at how she could impart instant fellowship, and that she already effortlessly embraced me, after we'd only just met.

From then on I would utter the phrase "I love your parents," countless times to Ashley, much to her annoyance, probably. And my awe only continued when I accompanied the family to a performance of Blithe Spirit in which Kelly played Ruth. Alas, she's was an incredible actress as well, and humbly grateful for my post-show praise.

For me, the true showing of Kelly's unbelievable character and strength came in their family's recent battle with cancer. Only experiencing from the outside looking in, I couldn't tell you how much it truly impacted their family. But from the small glimpses I got, was my admiration and love for Kelly solidified in my heart. Through the emotional, six-month trial, she had the strength to appear almost unfazed by anything. Caring for Tracy, the kids (who can be quite a handful *wink, wink*), and absolutely any other person who showed a hint of needing help, she busied herself with the welfare of others before ever considering herself.

And this is why Kelly Beck is one of my true, in-the-flesh, heroes. Because if she's known you for 10 minutes, or 10 years, you can be sure that she will do everything she can to put you at ease, make you laugh, and help you out in your time of need. This was best expressed by one Marcel Walker, a brilliant photographer and friend of the family:

"If I was stranded in the middle of the Sahara and called for rescue, my husband would laugh before saying anything...some friends would want to know what I was doing in the middle of the world's biggest wasteland and my family would ask how I got there in the first place. Kelly response would probably be, "So do you want to do this by cargo or caravan?" She's the kind of friend who will always have your back not matter where you're leaning or how far you might fall."

I am continually amazed and grateful that I have the opportunity to know Kelly Pack Beck, and I look forward to being awed in the future. I love you Kelly!

1 comments:

bad opera said...

Oh, Kelsey, I don't know what to say! Would you like to give the eulogy at my funeral someday, because I'm a little scared of what some other people might say!!
All I can really respond with is that you are sooooo easy to love. I hope you realize that the reason you saw such a complementary side of me is because it is so right for me to be all of these things when you are with me. You help me feel safe and loved and accepted just the way I am, warts and all.
No one will be more grateful that you are now a part of our "family" than me!

Your friend,
Kelly

p.s. When can you come and play?!